Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Hannah's Baby Quiet Book

Today's adorable felt baby book comes to us from Hannah of Sunburnt Strawberry. It's kind of a "safari" themed book - each page has a different wild animal to look at and to play with. I love the cover - the really cute lion with all the fun ribbons is just so happy and welcoming. I also really like how the antelope is attached to the page with elastic, so that he can leap across the grasslands. Anyway, each of the pages is so cute and I'm sure you'll enjoy them all!


Interview

What's your name? Describe yourself in one sentence.
My name is Hannah, I'm a science teacher in my first full year and I find crafty stuff that keeps my hands busy is a great way to de-stress.

Who did you make this quiet book for? How old are they?
I made this quiet book for my godmother's third baby. He is nearly 3 months old. It's something a bit personal for a new baby that she won't have from the first two, and all new babies deserve things made with love.

What's your level of sewing experience?
I would say fairly low. I do a lot of reading pretty thing blogs and wishing I could make the amazing things they do! I tend to make it up as I go along though and all the sewing in this is REALLY simple, just blanket stitch and whip stitch which is about my limit!

How long did it take you?
Errm... Probably about 5 weeks but I only worked on it when I had a bit of free time, maybe 12 hours? But that's just a guess, it mostly occurred while watching TV with a glass of wine!

Did you use any templates? Where can they be found?
No, I google image searched each animal's name and "clip art" art picked something cute with out twiddly awkward bits. I got inspiration from lots of places including One Lovely Life's felt baby book which gave me the croc, lion and monkey ideas.

How did you bind your quiet book?
I back stitched through all the layers of felt and then trimmed the excess. I used two small pieces of scrap to cover the top and bottom of the spine and wrapped the back cover over the spine so everything was nice and smooth and sewed in down at the front. That sounds confusing but hopefully the pictures help!

What material are the pages made out of?
All the pages are made out of half a sheet of craft felt. The slightly smaller coloured squares had the animals attached and then they were sewn to the black felt so that it formed a border. I made sure I didn't use the same coloured square twice.

What other materials did you use?
Everything is felt because it's so easy to work with. I also used a white zip I already had for the crocodiles teeth, brown wool for the zebras mane and tail, all sorts of scraps of ribbon from my stash for the lion, thread and embroidery floss. There is a tiny smudge of black fabric paint on the end of the banana.

How much did all the supplies cost you?
£2.00 for the 4 sheets of black felt and 75p for the zebra felt, everything else I already had. If I had bought the other supplies I reckon it would have come to under £10.

What's your favorite page? Why?
I love them all! I love the little green fish inside the crocs mouth and the colourful pop of the yellow elephant page next to the blue zebra page.

To see more pictures and learn more details of Hannah's baby book, visit the page on her blog here: Sunburnt Strawberry: Felt Baby Book. She also has a church quiet book with a post about its construction, so check that out too!

Thank you so much for sharing your adorable quiet book with us, Hannah!

Have you made a quiet book that you'd like to share? Click here for instructions on how to submit your own quiet book!

No comments:

Post a Comment